Followers

Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

A DIALOGUE ON SEX EDUCATION

BLOGGER:
A child generally cannot make this decision correctly if they have no proper foundation. Further, it ought not be a decision that a child must make. With proper nurturing it will be a relatively automatic process. Giving parents the skills to handle family dynamics in tandem with proper religious foundations can result in a better society. Present public school methods only enhance the deficiencies.


RACHEL YOUNG:
If they're going to have sex anyway, I want them protected. That is not the same as advocating premarital sex. You bet I talk to my children about birth control. I also tell them that there is an emotional price to pay for sex and well as a physical one. Information, presented when a child is ready for the message, is not in and of itself dangerous.

You're not going to change my mind on this one. We come from a long tradition of open communication. You should know that. We discussed sex at home with mom and dad and we discussed it with our children. We've also discussed politics and war and the environment and the space program and the value of roundabouts in lieu of off or on ramps. Maybe that's why librarian-ship appeals to us. We're all for open access to information.


BLOGGER:
It follows then that as a parent you would give your children condoms. Good luck.



RACHEL YOUNG:
My job as a parent is to teach my children what I consider to be moral. If, by chance, my children do not feel comfortable talking with me about birth control, I want them to hear about it from someone. The stakes are higher now. When we were teens, if we had unprotected sex the results could be a child or something that could be cured with a shot of penicillin. Today, unprotected sex could result in HIV. Do I want my children being taught about prevention of pregnancy and STDs? ABSOLUTELY. I WANT THEM TO HEAR ABOUT IT AT HOME, AT SCHOOL AND ON THE STREET. Passing on my morality is my responsibility, but if my children choose to have premarital sex, I don't want it to be a death sentence.

BLOGGER:
I understand the legislature passed a law which authorizes sex education in public schools based on both abstinence and non-abstinence views. My point is this: This type of education gives our youngsters the notion that it is a choice and their educators don't care which one is chosen. It is no wonder that our society has so many problems when norms of proper behavior are not clearly delineated.

Does quality education mean we must put moral principals on the same plain as immorality?


LEGISLATOR:
Thank you for your email. Could you please clarify what vote you have mentioned below? I believe increased access to quality education yields higher quality of life, healthier communities, and a stronger economy, so please know I remain firmly committed to these issues.
--------------------------------------------
Dear Legislator,

If you voted in favor of our schools, in affect, advocating free sex you should figure out why you do not concentrate on the following:

1. Gutting failed school systems.

2. Understanding that not all students are college material and development of trade apprentice-like programs.

3. Advancing education of adults in family dynamics and every day economic knowledge.

4. Gut the occupational bureaucracies at all levels of government.

If you have the time to devote to your electors perhaps you could send a comprehensive reply?

No comments:

Post a Comment